Saturday, August 25, 2007

Week 10 Thing 14 (Technorati)

I'm trying to work with what I'm seeing more in the way the young and the experienced seem to; sort of glide by and form impressions and zero in where my interest is caught. Sort of like speed reading, which I was never good at only complicated by the fact that most of what I read is sprinkled with words which are not in my personal lexicon and often, even usually not in the dictionary. So it's sort of like trying to find one's way around a foreign city where you do not speak the language.

One thing I've learned is how my life and my interests have sidelined me from the popular culture.

I was not surprised that top blogs and searches were mostly in areas of pop culture and technology, both of which change very rapidly. I assume that most people using Technorati are people who would need it to keep up with rapidly changing fields and trends. What astounded me was how out of my depth I was. Is Castro missing? I didn't know. Boing Boing? What? Epidemicologists getting ideas from video a game called World of Warcraft of how pandemic infectious disease creates problems researchers might not have thought of? Oh my God!

At the time I am doing this search Technorati was having technical problems that made it a bit harder to navigate. I can't tell you how grateful I was for that.
Amazed and Boggled

No comments: