Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 10 Thing 16 (Wiki Whata)

What did you find interesting?

The scope of what a wiki can do is. . .what are some synonyms for 'exciting?' I am stimulated, intrigued and challenged. From the simplest use as a forum for brainstorming and planning of a project (and keeping a history of everyone’s contribution) to a ‘place’ where I can go to find, and possibly contribute to, ‘stuff we’re all interested in’ it is a wonderful concept. I liked the idea of it as a sort of ‘my favorites’ that can be created and shared as a group.

What types of applications within libraries might work well with a wiki?

It would have been very helpful in both teams I served on, particularly the Children’s Webpage Team. It would have been helpful when we were brainstorming about ideas for the current Literacy Council Spelling Bee cheerleaders theme. Maybe that's too small and short-lived an application to use a wiki, maybe not.

The idea that I find most appealing is the use of it as a community center where clusters of resources and related places to play can be grouped for public consumption. Used this way I can't see it ever getting 'old.' By it's participatory nature it would stay current and relevant. Such a wiki would be a community builder continually recycling interest to itself and the interests of the participants. Wiki invites added meaning, artful contributions, allows a growing complexity and still keeps order for purposes of consumption, conceivably for both a physical community and the ‘community of interest’ created for anyone who loves to learn.

I thought the St Joseph County Public Library site was fabulous. Just a beginning for them, but what a beginning!

To be able to go to a subject and find all-in-one-place a definition of relevant terms, books on the subject, reviews and staff recommendations, best sellers and new books; online resources for the subject and community resources was a rich experience indeed. I will be following the development of this wiki with interest and I’m already using it to enhance my own reading and to help my aging mother write the memoir she’s been threatening to write for a decade now.

The Bull Run wiki I found to be suggestive of how the whole tone of such a forum is set in just a few words as well as how the site will be received. In a way it was kind of human and endearing to read the comment probably too obvious to need to be said, unless the contributor was under considerable duress and needing to vent, i.e. "If this wiki does not meet with your expectations, please feel free to not use it." So wikis are also a place to vent. . . extrapolate. . .possibly even rant on subjects of mutual concern. Bull Run, however, does not invite participation. Why was I not surprised?

I was grateful to the creators of 2.0 in Fifteen Minutes a Day for the way they organized the information and defined terms. That link
http://instructionwiki.org/Library_2.0_in_15_minutes_a_day I plan on saving to favorites

So what's in a wiki? Everything related to a subject or project or community or field of interest that anyone wants to put there.

No comments: